Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 1

Sunday was one of the most nerve wracking days of my life. From the time I woke up, from the time my mom and I were in the car on the way to the Capitol, my hands could not stop shaking and my stomach kept on coming up to my throat and plummeting back down without warning. We had to dress casually and formal at the same time, and if you know me really well, I don’t do formal. I did look nice though, I didn’t wear Converse, I wore flats and instead of a t-shirt, I was wearing a nice sweater and silk black top. All the Senate Pages were in the Chamber and when my mom and I walked in, there were already about twenty kids with their parents sitting around the room. I had no idea where I was supposed to sit, so I chose a chair at the front, and I’ll admit, I didn’t even look at the boy sitting right next to me. We went over rules for what seemed like an hour and a half. There are so many rules, I’m scared I’m going to break one without knowing it. After we went over the rules, we had to stand up and introduce ourselves when they called our names, and that’s how I found out who my room mate was, but I’ll talk about her later. After the introduction we went down to some separate rooms to have lunch. Annie’s family and mine sat together and we got to know each other. We both like food so we get along fine. Everyone went on a tour of the capitol and general Assembly building, and before I knew it, everyone is going back to the hotel and my mom is hugging me goodbye. Back at the hotel we all met our house parents, Mr. and Mrs. Snow. They’re very nice and make sure we follow the rules. The first night we had to go over rules for the hotel and work, which took a long time but oh well. That night we all ordered pizza and introduced ourselves without the grown ups help. The first night was hard. I was in a new place with someone I barely knew who was nice, but it was still awkward. However, I'm still really excited about working as a Senate Page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment