Saturday, January 29, 2011

I’m not good at blogging. Sorry, but just to fill you in, I’ve been in Richmond for three weeks now. Besides accidentally hanging up on someone over the phone, and calling Support Services Social Services, I’m doing really well. I never thought working could be so much fun. 
On Monday, the 24th guess who came to the Capitol? Tiki Barber. Yeah, that’s right. Tiki Barber, retired running back for the New York Giants. Guess who got to shake his hand and lead him in to the chamber? I did! Along with Tiki, were other gentlemen who were being inducted in to the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame. That was easily the highlight of my day.
We got to go to the Library of Virginia, and we all got to hold a dictionary used by Patrick Henry, and see General Cornwallis’ surrender letter to George Washington.
Also, when people see us pages walking around, the often do double takes. Probably because most people aren’t used to seeing thirteen and fourteen year olds dressed neatly and be very polite, but we’re still kids. We still like to make jokes, we get in trouble (but now we’re really good at following the rules), we can be rowdy when we’re supposed to be quiet and we still need that extra push to do something. Just because we wear uniforms and are actually working, doesn’t mean we’re not like ordinary teenagers.
Oh yeah, just because I’m away from school, doesn’t mean I’m free from homework. We have a two hour study hall each night with tutors incase we need help. I can’t slack off in my work. I’m responsible for getting my assignments to my teachers just like you are. 
I can’t believe I only have four more weeks here. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the Senate chamber for orientation, shaking with nervousness and excitement. I’m going to enjoy every minute of everyday. Since good things are worth enjoying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment